Chinese New Year is coming and it is another popular season for Chinese tourists. China market has huge potential but you need to take time to understand and nurture the market. As a Chinese travel blogger and vlogger (which is my side project!) who like to experience travel, spa and well-ness, I wish there could be 48 hours a day for me to visit all the countries, experience all the hotel and spa, take all the amazing photos and video to capture the best moment in this planet that reminds me the reason to keep living, breathing and walking as there are still many beautiful nature in life!
My trip in Taiwan: Me carrying camera stick to to make scene for my Chinese travel video and blog post!
And I can’t wait to share my Taiwan experience in my Weibo
My video blog in UK: I had travelled to many different places in UK and created my own UK travel Weibo account!
OK, I will cut the bullshit. I am going to highlight for you the top insights for 2018 Chinese New Year Chinese tourist travel report.
- Family: Family is a particular popular travel group during Chinese New Year, especially those mom and dad who are aged 30-45 years old, as it is rare to have a relaxing family together and travelling is considered as an excellent time to get out of the pollution, enjoy the scenery and food, so more and more family are keen to travel during the Chinese New Year.
- Quality & tailored travel product: As travelling become more mature for Chinese consumers and they have more experience when it comes to travelling, quality travel product is being valued. More and more tailored made travel products are being offered and demanded by Chinese customers. Some of the popular tailored made travel products include destinations such as Japan, Thailand, and Europe etc.
- Warm Island is a popular destination: A family trip to warm Island including Bali, Phuket island, Maldives, Sabah, Saipan, Fiji, Koh Samui, Mauritius, Tahiti are some popular among Chinese tourists.
- Adventure travel is a new trend: More and more Chinese tourists favour adventure travel including travelling to South Pole, and see the Northern night.
- For mid hal destination, South America, and also (i.e. Dubai) etc are becoming popular destinations among Chinese tourists to go to somewhere not too closed and too far.
- A higher pricing index for seasonal Chinese New Year travel product during Chinese New Year reflects the growing demand of higher quality travel products among Chinese tourists.
Suggestions for hotel and tour operators:
- Provide Baby cot and child care service: Family is a strong core customer segment during Chinese New Year period, so it is worth to offer additional services including “Provide baby cot and child care services” to attract Chinese tourists.
- Chinese speaking representative & tour guide ambassador: Having a Mandarin speaking Chinese staff at the font desk of the hotel is essentially important, also, Chinese tourists would ask travel, local guide and tour information when they visit to a new country where they are not familiar about, providing a good level of service and hospitality to Chinese tourists, as well as having Chinese translated welcoming pack with local country and travel information could make your hotel stand out.
- Tailored made tour package: Chinese tourists are now looking for a high quality and tailored made tour package because nowadays Chinese consumers desires not just a conned travel package that doesn’t allow tourist to dive deep to experience the local culture and gain unique local experience, therefore, therefore tailored made tour package are in high demand.
Hotel and hospitality WeChat CRM:
WeChat active users had already achieved to almost 10 million (until July 2017). With the huge market potential and database, coupled to growing demand for Chinese tourists to seek tailored made and unique travel touring and living experience abroad, WeChat is undoubtedly a marketing tool that hotel and hospitality operators can’t miss!
WeChat customer relationship management (CRM) not only enabled hotel to collect Chinese customers’ rich data such as users location, gender, and product interest but allowed the business to link all data with direct sales, measuring exactly who the customers are with potential customers browsing the product.
With the adaption of WeChat CRM, hotels can proceed to a deep segmentation based on multiple criteria such digital behavior, location, language, birthday, recruitment source, social influence among their network etc.
What’s more, advanced segmentation also allow hotels’ marketers to send the right WeChat message to the right target audience at the right time.
WeChat room booking and WeChat pay
As Chinese consumers are mobile savy and the majority of the time is spent on browsing mobile site, no matter it is during the subway, or in the coffee shop etc. To make room booking accessible for Chinese consumers, having the WeChat room booking function as well as WeChat pay would allow Chinese tourists to access room booking conveniently.
Hotel and travel operators, interested to seek free consultation and see how we can help? Contact us here!
Over the past eight years, Sarah has led and executed successful digital campaigns for a range of international and local companies in China, Hong Kong and internationally, including: Hong Kong Ocean Park, agnes b, Volkswagen, Premium Tax Free – Watches of Switzerland and Damiani. She has worked with property, travel and hospitality, luxury and fashion clients. As a native Chinese speaker fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English, Sarah is also a popular Chinese lifestyle, fashion and travel blogger.
During the day, she was working for Red Digital China, during the night, she expands her interest in creating story-telling content, design, drawing etc.
Latest posts by Sarah Yam (see all)
- WeChat 2019 NEW trend Must Watch: WeChat MINI Program internal search - January 10, 2019
- Chinese Digital Marketing hacks for China outbound tourism industry - October 27, 2018
- China outbound tourism: Big opportunities moving forward - September 6, 2018