On 18th Mar. 2018, Hurun Report Publishes ‘Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018’ and does the statistics about self-made women billionaires’ wealth in global range.
This year, a total of 102 self-made women billionaires are found from all over the world, 14 more than last year.
64 of the these self-made women billionaires are from China, more than half of the whole (accounting for 63%).
These self-made women billionaires are from 15 different countries, 3 more than last year.
Beijing is still “the capital of self-made women’s richest people in the world”, Shenzhen surpassed Shanghai in second place.
“Touchscreen Queen” Zhou Qunfei is the world’s most successful female entrepreneur with a wealth of 61.5 billion RMB. ‘Real estate queen’ Wu Yajun is ranked as the second with 58.5 billion RMB of wealth.
Among the 20 wealthiest women in the world, Zhou Qunfei is only one whose wealth is self-made rather than comes from inheritance.
- 102 self-made women billionaires come from 15 different countries.
- Account for 63% of the whole, there are 64 self-made women billionaires come from China, 8 more than last year, ranked as top one. Occupied 18 places of the 102, US is ranked as top two, and then is UK.
- Total wealth reached as 1.6 trillion RMB, up 14% from last year.
- Ranking as top one with 20 women, manufacturing industry surpasses technology industry as the most important source of the wealth of these self-made billionaires. Real estate industry is ranked as top two with 16 women as the source of the wealth, and technology and retail industry are ranked as top three with 11 women respectively. Hu Run, the chairman and chief researcher of Hurun Report, states: “In these five years, the most successful female entrepreneurs in the world work in manufacturing, real estate and technology industries”. Considering about the industry distribution, in the ‘2018 Hurun Global Rich List’, technology industry is ranked as top one, real estate and manufacturing industries are ranked second and third, and retail industry is ranked fifth.
- The average wealth of these self-made women billionaires is 15.5 billion RMB, the same as last year. The average age of these females is 58 years old, one year older than last year, five years younger than the average age of the global Rich List.
- The number of women in this list aged 45 or under is 10, including 4 new faces:
Shraddha Agarwal from Outcome Health, a Chicago-based health-care technology company, becomes the youngest female billionaire as only 33 years old; Zhou Yifeng from Oriental Energy is 40 years old; Li Qiong from Kunlun is 41 years old, Zhao Wei from Gold Ocean is 42 years old.
- 69% of the these self-made women billionaires’ wealth and property come from the shares of their listed companies, up 2% from last year.
- This year, 17% self-made women billionaires’ wealth is shared with their husband, while the number was about 25% in last year.
- In “Hurun Global Rich List 2018”, the proportion of women entrepreneurs accounts for 15% of the whole entrepreneurs; three years ago, the proportion was 13%; five years ago, it was 11%.
(March 8, 2018, International Women’s Day, Shanghai) Following the release of the “Hurun Global Rich List 2018” on February 28, the Hurun Research Institute releases its sub-list ‘Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018’ and does the statistics about self-made women billionaires’ wealth in global range with the deadline on January 31, 2017. This is the eighth year that Hurun Research Institute releases a list of the world’s richest self-made women.
Hurun believes, “30% of the world’s most successful male entrepreneurs are from China, and over 60% of the top 100 successful female entrepreneurs in the world from China, in other words, the number is double, the success is also double.
Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018 – Top Ten
Half of the top ten come from China, and Zhou Qunfei become the world’s richest self-made woman. Among the ten women, three are newcomers, including Diane Hendricks from ABC Supply, the largest wholesale distributor of roofs and walls in the United States, Wu Chunyuan from AAC Acoustic Technologies, and Denise Coates from Bet365.
Zhou Qunfei, 48 years old, becomes the most successful female entrepreneur in the world with the wealth and property as 61.5 billion RMB, and her wealth increased 45% from last year. Zhou Qunfei from Hunan started her first venture in Shenzhen for retailing watch glass, and then she started to retail mobile screen glass in 2000. Following the development of the smart phone market, she became the leader in touchscreen industry, covering the business in almost all high-end mobile phone brands. Now, her company Lens owns 80,000 employees. Lens achieved a total operating revenue of 23.7 billion RMB in 2017, an increase of 56% over the same period of the previous year. Zhou Qunfei served for the first time this year as a member of the 13th National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.
Wu Yajun, 54 years old, from Longfor, is ranked as top two with wealth rising 83% to 58.5 billion RMB. As one of the earliest shopping mall developers in China, Longfor has been engaged in commercial real estate operation for 18 years and has developed itself throughout the country. Her business involves real estate development, commercial operation, property services, and long-term rental apartments. The sales of Longfor in 2017 exceeded 100 billion RMB and employed more than 12,000 people. Wu Yajun also ever served as the representative of the Eleventh and Twelfth National People’s Congress.
Chen Lihua, 77 years old, from Fu Wah, is ranked as top three with the wealth and property of 51 billion RMB. Chen owns several real estate companies in Beijing. Her Fu Wah is committed to real estate and rosewood art. In 1990, she married with Chi Zhongrui, who ever played Tang Monk in Journey to the West (Yang Rui, 1982). Chen also ever served as member of the Eighth to Twelfth National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.
The 61-year-old “Paper Queen” Zhang Yin was the richest woman in 2006 and ranked as top four in this year. Her wealth rises 49% to 47 billion RMB. When Zhang Yin was a young lady, she gave up her well-paid work and went to Hong Kong alone. Today, the company owns a large scale. Zhang Yin ever served as a member of the 10th to 12th CPPCC National Committee.
Wu Chunyuan, from AAC Acoustic Technologies, is ranked as top seven with the wealth rising 72% to 31 billion RMB. Since the start of business in 1993, Pan Zhengmin and Wu Chunyuan have finally established a world belongs to Chinese in the field of acoustics and created a kingdom of miniature acoustic equipment to focus on the market of mobile phones. It was listed in Hong Kong in 2005 and currently employs more than 40,000 people worldwide.
Other women on the list:
Yang Meirong, from Yang’s Country Garden, is one of the newcomers in the list with the wealth of 11.5 billion RMB. Her company Bright Scholar has become one of the world’s three largest education groups The founder of Tory Burch, a well-known fashion brand in China, is newly listed on the list with the wealth of 8.8 billion RMB. The Danish co-founder of the jewelry brand Pandora, Winnie Eenefelder, has the wealth of 6.3 billion RMB. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, the only self-made female entrepreneur in India, owns the wealth rising 88% to 24.5 billion RMB.
Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018 – Country Distribution
China is ranked as top one with 64 self-made women billionaires, and US and UK are ranked as top two and top three.
(1. China. 2. US. 3. UK. 4. Australia. 5. Japan. 5. Brazil. 5. Denmark. 5. Germany. 5. India. 5. Italy. 5. Nigeria. 5. Singapore. 5.Spain. 5. Vietnam. 5.Monago)
Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018 – City Distribution
Top five cities are all in China, and Beijing is ranked as top one. Considering about province, Guangdong Province is ranked as top one with 17 Self-Made Women Billionaires in the list.
(1. Beijing. 2. Shenzhen. 3. Shanghai. 4. Foshan. 4. Hangzhou. 4. HongKong)
Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018 – Industry Distribution
Most Self-made women billionaires work on manufacturing industry; real estate is ranked as top two; technology and retail industries are tied for top three.
(1. Manufacturing. 2. Real Estate. 3. Retail. 3. Technology. 5. Medicine. 5. Investment. 7. Energy. 8. Food and Drink. 9. Hotel. 9. Transform. 9. Entertainment. 12. Construction. 12. Steel and Mine. 14. Aerospace. 14. Health Management 14. Jewelry. 14. Service)
Hurun Global Self-Made Women Billionaires List 2018 – Youngest Top Ten
The number of people aged 45 or under reaches 10, including 4 new faces: Shraddha Agarwal from Outcome Health, a Chicago-based health-care technology company, is the youngest self-made woman billionaire, who is 33 years old; Zhou Yifeng from Oriental Energy is 40 years old; Li Qiong from Kunlun is 41 years old; Zhao Wei from Gold Ocean is 42 years old.
Female entrepreneurs from China are almost self-made.
Female Billionaire Top 20
Country Garden’s 37-year-old Yang Huiyan is ranked as top three with 200 billion RMB in wealth, and Yang is the only one from China who is the member of top five richest females. Among the list of top 20 richest women, Zhou Qunfei is the only self-made women billionaire. Among the top 20 richest women in the world, 60% are second generation of billionaires, 20% are wife of billionaires, and 15% are 3rd generation of billionaires.
37-year-old Yang Huiyan is the top three richest woman with 200 billion RMB in wealth, and her wealth has risen 268%. Her major wealth comes from Country Garden. In early 2018, Country Garden became the fastest-growing company in the real estate industry and obtained more than 100 billion RMB sales in two months.
89-year-old Kuang Xiaoqing is ranked top nine with 82 billion RMB in wealth, and her wealth rise 30%. She is the wife of Guo Desheng, the founder of Sun Hung Kai Properties. She is also the mother of Guo Bingxiang, former chairman of the board of directors, and Guo Bingjiang as well as Guo Binglian, current co-chairman. The Guo family holds Sun Hung Kai Properties shares through a trust fund. She is the largest shareholder of Sun Hung Kai Properties.
60-year-old Zhu Liyuehua is ranked as top nine with 82 billion RMB in wealth, and her wealth rises 141%. His father Li Huiwen used to be a veteran of the Macau gambling industry. Now, Zhu Li Yuehua is the top one lady in Hong Kong’s financial community, and her company Kingston has invested more than nine listed companies.
Together with her husband Wu Guangzheng, the second daughter’s ‘Ship King’ in China, is ranked as top 13 with the wealth of 75.5 billion RMB, and her wealth has increased by 20% year-on-year.
Among these self-made women billionaires, most of theirs Chinese Zodiacs are Goat and OX, and then is Snake, and the least ones are Rat and Tiger. The richest self-made women billionaire Zhou Qunfei’s Chinese Zodiac is Dog. Interestingly, among people in ‘2018 Hurun Global Rich List’, most of theirs Chinese Zodiac is Snake, and the least ones are Rat and Pig.
2018 Hurun Global Rich List
On February 28, 2018, the Hurun Research Institute released the “Hurun Global Rich List 2018”. This is the seventh consecutive year that the Hurun Research Institute has released the “Global Rich List”. There are 2,694 billionaires in the list, adding 437, a record high. 54-year-old Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, is the richest man in the world with 775 billion RMB in wealth. The number of billionaires in China increased 210 and reaches to 819, 40% more than the number of billionaires in US. Beijing is ranked as “One billion US Dollar Regal Capital” for the third times, New York is ranked as top two, Hong Kong is ranked as top three, Shenzhen is ranked as top four, and Shanghai is ranked as top five. Ma Huateng officially become the richest man in China with 295 billion RMB in wealth.
Hurun Richest Women in China 2017
On October 26, 2017, the Hurun Research Institute released the ‘2017 Hurun Richest Women in China 2017’, one of the 2017 Hurun Reports. This is the 12th consecutive Hurun Research Institute released the top 50 “Hurun Riches Women”. Zhou Qunfei from Lens becomes the ‘Most Successful Female Entrepreneur’ in China and in the World.
Chinese Women Marketing Insights
- Considering about the proportion of Chinese self-made women billionaires and Chinese female newcomers in the list, it seems that more and more Chinese female entrepreneurs find the ways to increase their wealth and become billionaires.
- Compared with foreign women billionaires, most Chinese women billionaires’ wealth are from self-made instead of inheritance. Hence, ‘establishing the business by themselves’ could be the most common form and model for Chinese entrepreneurs to become successful and rich.
- Most Chinese self-made women billionaires work in manufacturing, real estate, and technology industries. From this we can see that in China, to some extent, these three industries are the most fasting-grow ones, and possibly the most suitable ones for women working on.
- The age of most Chinese self-made women billionaires is between 40-45. As a result, to some extent, in China, Chinese entrepreneurs usually spend about 20 years to increase their wealth and become billionaires.
- From the list we can also find that about 10 Chinese self-made women billionaires’ wealth or companies are shared with their husbands. Hence, for some female entrepreneurs in China, ‘working with husband’ could be a reliable model to occupy a space in some industries and even become billionaires.
Want to hear more interesting stories about China? Click Red Digital China Blog to learn more!
Over the past eight years, Sarah has led and executed successful digital campaigns for a range of international and local companies in China, Hong Kong and internationally, including: Hong Kong Ocean Park, agnes b, Volkswagen, Premium Tax Free – Watches of Switzerland and Damiani. She has worked with property, travel and hospitality, luxury and fashion clients. As a native Chinese speaker fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English, Sarah is also a popular Chinese lifestyle, fashion and travel blogger.
During the day, she was working for Red Digital China, during the night, she expands her interest in creating story-telling content, design, drawing etc.
Latest posts by Sarah Yam (see all)
- Chinese Digital Marketing hacks for China outbound tourism industry - October 27, 2018
- China outbound tourism: Big opportunities moving forward - September 6, 2018
- Chinese outbound travel: Chinese tourists outbound travel trend - June 20, 2018